Check out my freehand nail art in the folders/pages above this line :) - Se min frihånds nail art i fanebladene over denne linie :)



torsdag den 2. oktober 2014

Fading nail polish - 18 months in a window

This is a completely useless and admittedly somewhat nerdy post about fading in polishes when subjected to light.
Maybe it isn’t completely useless, because it does tell us that dark storage is the best because light also affect our bottled polishes…

March 26th 2013 – 1½ years ago – I decided to do a nail polish color fading test.
I chose blue and red because in paper those colors easily fade – but much to my surprise it turned out that a completely different nail polish color range fades much worse even if it’s not subjected to direct sun light…
I painted two sets of false nails: one side in red and one in blue, and one set was left in a dark drawer – and the other set was placed in a south facing window for 18 months.

Click on photos to enlarge

Upper row kept in a dark drawer – lower row kept in a south facing window for 18 months, right half of each nail has been top coated with Seche Vite at the beginning of the experiment.
Red going from large to small describing the change:
China Glaze Snap My Dragon, light fading (more visible in person), the top coated part is less faded.
Vogue Manzana Fatal, has become darker and slightly more purple toned in the sun.
Seche Smitten, a light fading (more visible in person), the top coated part is less faded.
China Glaze Poinsettia, no change, maybe a slight fading in the non top coated side.
China Glaze Velvet Bow, no change.
Seche Red, no change, maybe a slight fading in the non top coated side. 


and the blue polishes:
Upper row kept in a dark drawer – lower row kept in a south facing window for 18 months, left half of each nail has been top coated with Seche Vite at the beginning of the experiment. Blue going from large to small:
Barielle Berry Blue, no change.
Jesses Girl Girls Night Out, no change.
Essie Butler Please, no change.
Zoya Song, no change.
Nubar Indigo Ocean, no change.
Sinful Why Not, faded completely after 2-3 weeks – less than a month.

And now to the shades that really, really fade - even if they are kept out of direct sun light....
Do you remember I used to organiz my swatch sticks like this?

Until I got this drawer cabinet - click HERE to read more!

I had noticed that several of my swatch sticks in mint, "Tiffany box" and other colors in a mix of green and blue faded dramatically from just hanging on their chains - even if they never were subjected to direct sunlight, and I had to re-swatch a lot of them when I reorganized them.

Just a few examples, the newly swatched to the left, the fade ones of the same polish on the right:
Do you have any experiences with fading polish??

22 kommentarer:

  1. This is a great post Maria and very informative! Thanks for this. :-)

    I have always kept my polishes stored in drawers or Helmers (of recent years) away from direct sunlight and away from heat sources like radiators or fires. They are currently stored in a room with no heating - I turned the radiator off. It is kinda cold during winter when I'm doing my nails!!!! ;-)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I'm so glad you found it useful - and that sounds like a really way, but please take care of yourself a bit too LOL

      Slet
  2. Great post, it needed so many months to be written!
    The Sinful Why Not :O It's faded completely!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you so much - and LOL it was quite time consuming one could say :)
      Yep, and that happened within 2-3 weeks, that's a bit strange!

      Slet
  3. Very interesting findings. I keep all my polishes in boxes as well as swatch wheels, so I haven't experienced this issue, except with some textured polishes.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. It's interesting that you experienced it with some textured - assuming they were kept the same way!

      Slet
  4. It's amazing how big a difference there is in the fading! I haven't noticed fading myself, but how would I? I mean, I don't use swatch sticks :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. LOL you are so right - no swatch sticks is one problem less LOL

      Slet
  5. A very interesting post! I have no experience with fading nail polish though.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I'm so happy you think so - thanks a lot!

      Slet
  6. Very interesting post and I just remembered why I'm keeping all my polishes in a dark corner/locker, where there is no sunlight.

    Kind regards,
    Elena

    SvarSlet
  7. Woah! O.O And using a top coat? I will try when I will buy the swatching fan ^^

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I was lucky to have a window where it was possible without looking weirs LOL

      Slet
  8. Very interesting. I am not entirely surprised that the turquoise/teal faded--the worst polish color change I've ever seen was with the turquoise from that Twilight collection from some years back. Some of those turned grey while the bottles were still in the store.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. WOW, that was a quick fading in bottles, thanks for sharing!

      Slet
  9. Very interesting post! :-) Yes, I had one experience with fading nail polish and the shade was some kind of green Tiffany shade, I used it for my nail art creation on one of my plastic nail wheels, I drew some small flowers on it and I put one layer of top coat; after some months I wanted to make the photos of some nail wheels and I saw something very strange: that Tiffany green nail art creation lost it's green "pigment" and became very pale and almost grey, something like nails on the right side of the last foto in this post... :-/

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thanks a lot - there clearly is a fading problem with the Tiffany group, so I'm happy to hear your experience too!

      Slet
  10. to tell you honestly, i haven't noticed this... but after your post i might have to recheck my displays ;)

    SvarSlet
  11. Wow, very interesting experiment :). I never noticed fading nail polishes on my nail wheels before :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thanks a lot - you might want to check especially some of the mints/Tiffany colors...

      Slet

Please do NOT link spam! Comments with links will very likely be removed. If you want me to look at your blog, send me an email!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...