Check out my freehand nail art in the folders/pages above this line :) - Se min frihånds nail art i fanebladene over denne linie :)



onsdag den 15. august 2012

Sponging as effect & gradients - Artsy Wednesday

Sponging is a favorite topic of mine, so it's a nice challenge for this week's Artsy Wednesday!  
I use sponging a lot, and for all sorts of things, mostly to create a background for some nail art like in yesterdays post. It’s a pity that many only use it for gradients, because sponging really is a useful tool!
I use a makeup vedge/sponge, very fine pored, and I often only use a corner. When I’m finished I either rip it of when dry, or clip it, creating lots of new corners to work with – so one single sponge lasts forever and forever…
The first I’ll show you is a classic sponged gradient, I used neons. The base color is Sation Loudest Color, then I sponged the middle area with China Glaze Sun-kissed, then closer towards the tip I used Pirate Polish Radioactive and for the very tip I used a mix of Radioactive and China Glaze I’m With The Lifeguard to make it more lime. Top coat is Seche vite.

Here you have examples of background and effect sponging left to right, 01-05 - all top coated with Seche Vite - click on the photos if you want to see them in a larger size.
01. I created a mossy ground with Butter London Wallis over Essence Exits on your right, and then I painted my flowers.
02. Over Essence Via Airmail I sponged a diagonal belt of lighter blue with Barry M Cyan Blue and I sponged a border on each side of that with Sinful Hottie (glitter) before I painted my flowers.
03. On Essence Destination Sunshine I sponged a mess of other colors – and it looked terrible, I was like ARRRGHHH, but then I took my black striper, and it turned out to be quite OK.
04. On Essence Sending You Kisses I sponged a middle area with Barry M Neon Pink, it’s difficult to see because of the boring flowers I painted, but it was a quite subtle effect…
05. On China Glaze frostbite I sponged one half with Sinful Hottie creating a diagonal line, that I marked with a silver glitter striper.
Check out what the other girls in Artsy Wednesday did in this weeks challenge
Michelle - Lab Muffin,  Alanna - Pretty Purple Polish, Tif - Polished Genious, Lyndsey - Nails by Ms. Lizard, Melanie - Nail & Polish, Jessica - Beauty Gnome,  Emily - An Accent Nail 
NOT his week: Kamen - Kaka Beauty Blog, Catrine - Unnakednails,

52 kommentarer:

  1. The first flower design is so pretty :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thanks a lot BeautyShades, it's my fav too :)

      Slet
  2. I am a habitual sponger (why does that sound dirty? lol) I had to stop because I was worried that people would tire of seeing it... plus I have other looks I wanted to try. But sponging is still my favourite. I appericate you explaining how you do this (because you do it so well)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. LOL dirty polish talk muahha - I don't use it all the time either, but it's nice for effects i think :)
      Thanks a lot Karen!

      Slet
  3. I like sponging,well the efect that it gives,I don't know why I don't use it more often :) All the nail art designs are pretty,but the neon gradient stole my heart :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thanks a lot Mimi - it is a very juicy neon gradient LOL, i think so too :)

      Slet
  4. What an eye opener this post is! I will try and use sponging creatively like you in future, thank you!! :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Aww, thanks a lot Rainbowify Me, what a sweet thing to say!

      Slet
  5. All of them are so pretty but my favorite is no.1 :)

    SvarSlet
  6. These are all so gorgeous!!! I especially love the neon ones =) Thanks for the tips on how you do the sponging, I have tried so many times and failed. I am going to have to try again, you have inspired me!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thanks a lot Jacqui, I think people often use a too large piece or a very open pored sponge, and call for failure - at least for me...

      Slet
  7. I love using sponges in nail art, I don't know why I don't use them more often..

    That first flower design is absolutely beautiful, I love it.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. LOL, maybe you need to do them more often, thanks a lot Katie :)

      Slet
  8. Love the yellow one. Reminds me of a butterfy :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Yes it kind of does, i thought that at some point too, thanks NailNarcotics :)

      Slet
  9. I love 1, 2 & 5 the most :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you so much zebra-nails, It's really fun to hear what you guys prefer :)

      Slet
  10. Love them all, nr 1 and 3 stand out for me! The grass looks so real!
    PS: thank you for your sweet comments on NailTalk, very sweet!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Those two are my favorites too - and you are welcome, but you also always leave sweet comment here - so thank you so much NailTalk :)

      Slet
  11. I love them all, except the yellow one. Just love your flowers :D

    SvarSlet
  12. beautiful ideas :) the first one with flowers looks like a real painting!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I'm happy you like them, thanks a lot Mari Lumme :)

      Slet
  13. I love to see sponging on others, especially yours! They always look so neat and interesting. I haven't had the courage to try it myself, but I will let you know if/when I do. ;-)

    ~ Yun

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Aww, thanks Yun, that makes me proud. You should try, there really is nothing to it :)

      Slet
  14. very true! i need to start using sponging more often. Great tip about clipping the sponge, i kept throwing them away. LOL love the gradient with the neons, beautiful!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you so much Lydia - and yes, I always use a corner, easy :)

      Slet
  15. Thank you for sharing this!!!! I need to work on this technique!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I will look forward to seeing it on your lovely blog, Meredith Anne :)

      Slet
  16. your technique is really really good Maria, i especially love the neon yellow/green one! It reminds me of something toxic but totally cool :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. LOL really toxic, I agree - thanks a lot Mel :)

      Slet
  17. Maria, you are always so creative and amazing at this!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Aww, thank you so much, GoingtotheShowing :)

      Slet
  18. Great collection, your flowers are always very delicate!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I'm so happy you like it, thanks a lot Manases Andrea :)

      Slet
  19. Big fan of the sponge :) And seriously, you are like the queen of flowers, they're so pretty!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Aww, now you make me blush, thank you so much Nail Nerd :)

      Slet
  20. Jeg kan ikk' gøre for det ;) - tusind tak Christina, det var utrolig sødt sagt :)

    SvarSlet
  21. Beautiful post and beautiful examples! Excellent job! :-)
    Well, my favourite design is the flower design and then I liked very very much the abstract design on yellow! :-)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Aww, thanks a lot Raggio di Luna, these two are my favorites too!

      Slet
  22. Thank you for the sponging tips! Especially about cutting the corner off, to create more areas to sponge with- very helpful! And I love the butterfly themed nail, but my favourite is the neon yellow/green gradient- but maybe I'm biased? ;)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I always come up with so many silly and sometimes useful ideas LOL - this was one of them. Nah, I don't *think* you are biased at all LOL Tara ;)

      Slet
  23. love sponging too <3
    your neon sponged nails are so beautiful, my knees are getting weak from this combo *.*
    i'm not objective of this topic, i love everything you do :-D

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Awww, such sweet comment, you ar too kind, thanks a lot nail crazy!!

      Slet
  24. amazing! love the gradient, totally me! and im so jealous of your talent!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Aww, thanks esmeheredia, you should go right ahead, the first times I sponged, I had more polish on the sponge (pulled of the nail) than on the nail - it's like dotting - it's all in the wrist :)

      Slet
  25. This is such an awesome post, Maria! I love the different way you use sponging :D

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I'm so happy you do, thanks a lot drinkcitra!

      Slet
  26. Really nice, Maria! I need to do some sponging now... But it means laying off the glitter! Lol

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. LOL you glitter girl, thanks a lot Nidia :)

      Slet

Please do NOT link spam! Comments with links will very likely be removed. If you want me to look at your blog, send me an email!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...